Answers to some
Frequently Asked Questions

My query isn't answered here

Can Royal Crown Derby repair a damaged piece of china?

Royal Crown Derby does not offer a restoration service for collectors. We would recommend that you contact a ceramic restorer to advise you on the repair. www.icon.org.uk is a useful website.

How can I distinguish between a 'best quality' item and a 'seconds quality' item?

Seconds items are sold in our Visitor Centre Retail Shop only, and are the result of minor imperfections created during the manufacturing process but are always fit for purpose. We like to refer to these pieces as 'Slightly Imperfect' Imperfections may show in the decoration where some variation is a natural part of the hand decorating process. Slightly imperfects can be identified by a marked backstamp (polished away or scratched) and will have a silver stopper. Best quality items will always have a gold stopper and a full backstamp. Any item your purchase from Royal Crown Derby online will always be best quality.

Can Royal Crown Derby provide a valuation.

No - we are unable to assist you with a valuation for discontinued items as we are not sufficiently involved with the secondary market to provide accurate information and would not wish to influence secondary market prices. We recommend that anyone wishing to obtain a valuation on discontinued pieces should contact a specialist dealer or one of the leading auction houses. However on the 1st Wednesday of every month Bamfords Auctioneers have a free valuation session based at the Royal Crown Derby Visitor Centre, where you can bring any item (doesn’t have to be Royal Crown Derby) for a free valuation by one of the specialist, which sometimes can be James Lewis of Flog It and Bargain Hunt fame. For further details of Bamfords contact 01332 210000 sales@bamfords-auctions.com www.bamfords-auctions.co.uk

I have broken my candlestick foot, can I get a replacement?

Yes - replacement parts can be bought for candlesticks, dolphin centrepieces, soup tureens, comports, teapot lids etc. The goods must be returned to the factory in order that the replacement part can be fitted. There may be a charge for fitting and postage charges. We will not send out replacement parts for the customers to fit themselves. Please contact the retail shop and they will be able to provide you with a cost for the replacement part.

Historical Enquiries

Information regarding historical information on Royal Crown Derby pieces can be directed to our Museum Curator Jacqueline Smith on 01332 712886 or email jsmith@royalcrownderby.co.uk We endeavour to supply information regarding information on Royal Crown Derby pieces on this website.

Can Royal Crown Derby supply discontinued product?

No - we do not keep stocks of discontinued collectables or tableware. A china matching organisation may be able to help with discontinued tableware. Please see companies below. China search companies will search for tableware patterns which have now been discontinued. They will look for all manufacturers. Finders Kath Landon Telephone / Fax: 01538 756115 (Must be located around the Staffs/Derbyshire border according to the area code). Chinasearch Telephone: 01926 512402 Fax: 01926 859311 email: info@chinasearch.uk.com www.chinasearch.uk.com Chinamatch Telephone / Fax: 01905 391520 email: chinamatch_uk@compuserve.com www.chinamatch.uk.com Tableware? 4 Queens Parade Close, Friern Barnett, London. N11 3FY Tel: 0208 361 6111 Fax: 0208 361 4143

Do we replace stoppers?

No. Our pieces are checked before they leave the factory and should be checked as soon as they arrive with you. Gold stoppers define the paperweight as best quality.

How should I care for my item?

Please visit our care guide here: www.royalcrownderby.co.uk/care-guide

Why is the date on the bottom of my Royal Crown Derby paperweight different to the year of introduction?

The date which we incorporate in our backstamps is the date of copyright registration and does not necessarily relate to the year in which an item is introduced. It is not unusual for a figure to be copyright registered the year before it is launched.